The biggest mistake that many people make when applying for a K-1 visa is trying to do everything on their own. The process is complicated, and many people don’t understand it. It’s possible to get rejected because you don’t fill out all the necessary information, or you didn’t interview well. Hiring a professional is the best way to ensure that your application is successful and that you don’t make any of these common mistakes.


One of the most common IMBRA mistakes is attempting to obtain a K-1 visa without disclosing past criminal convictions. While a criminal conviction may not necessarily disqualify you from obtaining a K-1 visa, it can cause you to have difficulties with the process. Listed below are common mistakes to avoid:


Form I-864

In order to avoid being denied a K-1 visa, you need to know which mistakes to avoid when filling out Form I-864. Most consular officers make mistakes on this form, and submitting it wrong can result in a denial. Make sure you have the accurate financial information and that you do not rely on the income of another individual to cover your expenses. The USCIS has strict guidelines for determining whether you are a public charge, and a wrongly submitted Form I-864 can jeopardize your application.


If you’re an American citizen who is pursuing a fiance visa, you need to know what to expect during the K-1 Visa Interview. This is a formal interview during which you must prove your relationship and meet certain requirements. You may be asked to complete forms and documents to support your application, but it can also get personal. The answers to these questions will ultimately determine whether your K-1 visa application is approved. Knowing what to expect can help you prepare for the interview and avoid potential pitfalls.


Income requirements of the sponsor

To qualify as a sponsor for a K-1 visa, you must meet certain income requirements. For example, in order to sponsor a foreign national with a K-1 visa, you need to have a household income of at least $17,240 per year for a couple. This figure rises as the number of dependents increases, but the overall income requirement stays the same. Depending on the type of visa, you may also have to meet certain income requirements for a sponsor if you live in a state with higher poverty levels.

Verification of bona fide relationship

The first step in applying for a K-1 Visa is establishing your relationship with the sponsor. If you are applying for a fiancé visa, you must be engaged or married in the United States. If you are married, you must prove your relationship with the sponsor by showing a marriage license or divorce decree. If you have already been married for a year, you should provide proof of this.